If you have an Android device and you use that, probably you likely have heard of an APK file at some point. But, if you’ve wondered what it even is and actually what could be done with that. You must understand this if you want to download apps or customize your Android to take the experience further not using the Play Store alone. Then, here the guide comes below. Here, I’ve discussed what APK files are, how to download, and how to install them.
So, let’s jump into that…
What is an APK File?
APK is the package file format name in short what’s abbreviation — An Android Package Kit and used by the Android operating system for distribution and installation of Smartphone apps. Like as Windows (PC) systems where windows use a .exe file for installing software, and the Android system uses the APK file for installing an app.
When you download an APK file online, you get actually a complete app. Basically, most users install apps from the Google Play Store directly, without ever seeing the word APK or thinking about something like that.
Why would you need to install an APK File?
APK files of new-build Android app are leaked sometimes before publishing officially, and here the opportunity comes to you access the app early and enjoy. Besides that, some apps are restricted in your own region but downloading and installing you can use them.
As well as, app updates usually take a frustrating amount of time to arrive automatically. But getting the latest APK of your favorite apps will let you be free from that. Or you might even not like any app after updates and want to install an older version instead. And also, if your Android device lacks access to the Google Play Store, APK files may be the only option for installing apps on your device.
But remember and be careful against downloading stolen apps and pirated apps. Because this is illegal and should be avoided. Being unconscious may get even worse, sketchy APK files may contain malware or viruses. So, do some research always before you download so that nothing goes against the law or don’t have to get contaminated your own device.
How to install an APK on your Android device?
You can install APK files using your web browser on your Android smartphone or tablet.
- In the starting, first, open your browser, find the APK file you want, download the APK by tapping the download button — you’ll see downloading stats on the top bar of your device.
- Once it’s downloaded, open the Downloads directory, then tap on the APK file and tap Yes when prompted.
- One thing you’ve to make sure before you can install the APK file on your phone that third-party apps are allowed on your device.
- So, to allow go to Menu > Settings > Security > and check Unknown Sources to allow your phone to install apps from other sources, not only from the Google Play Store.
- The process on Android 8 Oreo and 9 Pie is a little different. Rather than checking the global setting to allow installation from unknown sources, you’ll be prompted to allow your device to install APKs from a browser or file manager for the first time you attempt. So, allow it and …
- The selected app will begin installing on your device. That’s it!
Note: When you’ll try to download APK files across the web, always choose only a trusted website. Because sometimes some APK files may contain malicious software (malware) which could break your phone’s security. That’s why it’s best to be conscious before downloading or installing any app or game from outside of the Play Store.
You may also like –
- Best apps for Android
- A nice Android app promotion service
- Enjoy a Free App promotion trial for your new app
- Customize your app promotion campaign according to your budget
In the end, now you know what is APK things and what to do with that. So, let’s explore APK worlds and enjoy it! And, don’t forget to let us know through comments — do you download APK files? Which APK downloading site do you recommend? Also, anything if you’ve in mind about APK, we would be happy to hear from you.
Leave a Reply